Thursday, July 9, 2009

Pete's Dragon (1977)

"Pete's Dragon" is one of those films I saw countless times in elementary school, back when films were a school treat and shown in the gym or cafeteria on small white screens with a 16-mm projector. (VCR? What's that?) I loved it as a kid -- I remember wanting my own dragon and I had many nightmares about evil Mrs. Gogan (I had no idea it was Shelley Winters under all that nasty redneck makeup) trying to stuff me in a sack. And the film has held up, for the most part. The special effects and details are annoyingly dated, and young Pete (Sean Marshall) must be smacked. By law. But, it's full of joy, love and humor and not a scent of irony or the cynicism that ruins many children's films today. Best of all, it has Mickey Rooney as a kind drunkard (now that's a fantasy) who sings and dances. Rooney is a national treasure. Jim Dale is a hoot as another villain, Dr. Terminus (love the name), a traveling con artist. He's such a treat, I found myself rooting for him this time around. Guess, I don't want a dragon anymore. B

No comments:

Post a Comment