Monday, July 27, 2009

Bolt (2008)

"Bolt" isn't Pixar, but this Disney animated film has John Lasseter's hands all over it. And it shows. It's a witty, funny film that makes a tired film plot -- a trio of animals travel cross country to find one's person -- new again. And it has a hamster in a ball. A delusional, spastic, pop culture obsessed hamster who is a laugh riot. Rhino the hamster is found by Bolt, a TV star who is: 1) Lost and far from home and 2) Under the assumption that he's a real super hero. The trio is completed by Mittens, a New York alley cat. The three are trying to get to Hollywood, where Bolt's owner, Penny, lives. I focus on Rhino because he's the best thing in the movie. I'm a movie snob. I turn my nose up at Hollywood fare. But I cried from laughter when that furry thing fogged his ball up from over exertion and Rhino then drew in a happy face. The film isn't ace. I The finale is a bit much. Mark Walton, a Disney animator/writer, voices Rhino. John Travolta is Bolt. Bolt may be the hero, but he's the butt of most jokes and you can hear the game joy in Travolta's voice. B+

No comments:

Post a Comment