Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993)

Why make a spoof of “Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves,” when Kevin Costner’s performance was its own piece of trash-art comedy, a knitting needle in the ear of anyone whose blood runs remotely English? But, Mel Brooks dishes up “Robin Hood: Men in Tights” anyway, and it’s a tired comedy that traipses out of Sherwood and over to Queens, New York, for a useless “Godfather” joke. Meow! Other Robin Hoods are spoofed, and, yes, Monica Lewinsky is referenced. Eww. Worse than the worst bits of “Spaceballs,” and miles below the heights of Brooks’ “Young Frankenstein,” “Blazing Saddles” and “The Producers,” this is just dullsville. Cary Elwes is ordered to play a dull version of his own Robin Hood hero from “The Princess Bride,” a classic genre spoof all its own. When Brooks went soft his films turned from “Must watch” to “Nothing else is on.” I saw this in the theater, and hated it. My second viewing … ohh, shame on me. C-

2 comments:

  1. Take it back! I love Men in Tights (and not just the movie :) . I could blame it on being young and impressionable in '93 and having not seen the greats like "Young Frankenstein" yet, or just my love of the legend. But I quote this movie. A lot.
    "Did you say 'Abe Lincoln?'"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry you don’t find this movie as entertaining as I do. I don’t think Brooks has ever made a bad movie, he is the godfather of parody. I watch a Brooks film every day and be happy. In fact I just watched Robin Hood: Men in Tights at DISHOnline.com. Things have been pretty slow here in the ol’ DISH call center tonight and I decided to watch a movie. I watched Young Frankenstein last week, maybe next week Ill watch Blazing Saddles or Space Balls!

    ReplyDelete