Saturday, December 18, 2010

Inside Job (2010)

Imagine you purchased a dishwasher from me. Later, after the dishwasher has shattered your dishes and torched the house, you learn that I knowing sold you a faulty dishwasher. And not only that, but I and my friends wagered and made money off the likelihood that the dishwasher would fail. You also learn I paid reviewers to praise the machine’s merits. Want to buy an oven from me? That’s “Inside Job,” a face slap to the U.S. financial system and how “too big to fail” banks and mortgage firms played with trillions of dollars as if it were “Monopoly” game night. It starts off with a rockin’ Peter Gabriel tune and ends in a seething fit. Director Charles Ferguson berates Dems and GOP’ers alike, shows talking heads wise and unrepentant, and uses news footage – ratings firms CEOs insisting that their opinions are not meant to be taken seriously – so outrageous, one can only laugh. This is about over-privileged men who, not unlike teenagers, insist they require no curfew and then never return home. “Job” is cold and calculating, as are all great heist films. A

No comments:

Post a Comment